Saturday, July 7, 2007

Moon Called


My weekend off has begun. I woke up a bit earlier than I planned this morning (at 11am) and decided I'd read a bit before lugging myself out of bed.

Currently I'm finishing up Patricia Brigg's Moon Called, a new paranormal series about a Native American shape shifter (Mercy - the mechanic) who can transform into a Coyote and was raised by werewolves. There are some really interesting things going on this book - for instance, no other fantasy novel like this has as many Native American characters - the main character is Cherokee I believe. And there seems to be a huge community of Native American Warewolves. Plus, it takes on the whole idea of Europeans (in this case, Vampires and Warewolves) having wiped out Native American culture and lives here in North America, especially the paranormal sects.

One of the other parts of this book I like is the depiction of a lone woman (not a part of any warewolf pact) watching the uber-masculine world of warewolves and making snide comments about it all.

That all being said, the plot is moving a bit too slowly for my tastes, it seems that now at page 200 (of a 278 page book) we are finally dealing with the main plot for the book. Until now, a lot of it has been Mercy running around trying to save all the werewolves she could and giving us A LOT of back story for her.

One thing that surprised me, is how ineffectual and stupid the werewolves are - they keep needing Mercy to come a long and save their ass for them.

werewolf: Mercy, I am super strong and an oh so dominant werewolf, yet this vampire has me enthralled (even though 6 pages earlier I said I could never be enthralled by a vamp). Won't you help me?

Mercy: Yes I will help you with my never before mentioned abilities to stop vampires. Oh look I happen to have a religious artifact that I can use. Then we can run off and both turn into animals and almost have sex.

COME ON!!!

Anyways, I am enjoying it - and that is saying a lot, because I never read fantasy. In general I am not a huge fan, but I am trying to get into it. Perhaps as long as there are vamps and werewolves in it I'll like it...

Ok, back to seeing what other convenient plot devices will happen in the next 70 pages - or if we'll ever hear about the kidnapped girl again, or the world wide werewolf leader... lots of open threads to clear up!

No comments:

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto