Sunday, July 29, 2007

I'm givin' up the dove to the beast


Tonight we went to see Rufus Wainwright in concert with Sarah Slean opening. Both acts were amazing. I was feeling rather overwhelmed by Rufus, it seemed that just as the show was starting to wind down, he'd jump in with another set. Moving from doing pretty much his entire new CD Release the Stars to a Judy Garland number, to a rock fantasy moment, then an incredible Irish folk song, then the encore which included his song "La Complainte de la Butte" from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack. He finished the encore with a drag number of a Judy Garland song... he rocked that outfit.

Rufus is an amazing talent - one of the few openly successful gay musical acts out there. Tonight he really proved just how amazing his is.

You knew it was going to be a good night when one of the first things he says to the audience is: "So about my sequined jacket - well I had to find something to go with the sparkly lips on my pants, oh and because I'm just so gay."

It was all amazing from that point on. He was clearly having some problems with the techs for the show - seemed to be having feedback in his ear piece... but he worked it out. I loved just sitting and watching him play the piano... he is such a good performer, even when sitting down.

Opening for him was Sarah Slean, a Canadian songwriter. This was actually the first time I had sat down and listened to her. I loved her. She's funny, intelligent, and unbelievebly talented. She told a story about living in Paris for a while to write, but the songs she wrote in the beginning of her stay were all about being lonely because she just sat in her small apartment. Right after the concert I dragged Jes to HMV to buy two of her CDs: Night Bugs and Day One.

It was a fantastic (and gay) night. One I won't be forgetting. Now, if Rufus would just bring his Judy Garland tour to Toronto (or release it on DVD) my life would be complete.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Exactly how late is HMV open? That's awesome that you had such a good time at the concert - and shopping afterward? Perfect.

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto