Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Happy Heart


So today was my 6th month check up at the heart clinic... for those of you who don't know, I've had some problems with my heart in the past. Died once. Came back.... I make it sound light, not because it is but because I get tired of making it sounds like it was the defining moment of my life. It certainly changed me - how can dying not?

What I have (or is it had) was similar to what Denny suffered from on Grey's Anatomy. A form of cardio-myopothy. Which is essentially heart failure. That is why I have such a interesting connection with him as a character.

Anyways - for the past 2 years I have been going to St. Paul's hospital to see caridologists in the "Pre-Heart Transplant Clinic." Today, I graduated from that clinic. I am no longer even remotely close to having to have a transplant. I had an eco-cardiogram, which is like an ultrasound for your heart. And it was at a 60% rate - which is what everyone else has. We all operate with a 60% rejection rate apparently. So, that means I am totally better! After that I had a Exercise test - which might be the most humiliating thing ever. Having to ride on a exercise bike with electrodes strapped onto you and a breathing thing on your mouth to monitor your breathing rate. They had to shave a spot on my chest to attach the elctrodes, I was not happy. (oh and one of the technicians working there was a total bitch.)

After that, I had some blood work done and then went the clinic where I was told: "I'm totally healthy and can graduate from their clinic."

This is news I have been waiting for for a LONG LONG time. Perhaps 2 years. Still have to take meds, but I am back to normal! YAYAY!!!!

As a way of celebrating, I am going with Movie Diva, her friend Miss Divine, and Jes (he still has no special nickname) to see Harry Potter 5! But before that, perhaps a walk to Marble Slab is in order.

I rock, and my heart rocks!

4 comments:

Christine Marie said...

Way to go Matt's heart! That's super-fantastic! I heart your heart ;) We should do something together soon!

JPB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JPB said...

I had no idea about your condition. Glad to hear that you have recovered and will be with us for a long time.

PS Sorry for the deleted post; the punctuation was all wrong.

Matt J. said...

Thanks guys - I am so very happy about this news. Its fantastic. Seems to be a good week developing - first the heart and now I will finally be done this dreaded MA that has plauged my life for the last 2 years!

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto