Friday, September 7, 2007

Sitting in the Peacock.

Right now I am sitting in the Robarts Library computer lab, mainly because the english department does not have a graduate computer lab unlike EVERY OTHER UNIVERSITY I'VE BEEN TO!! I discovered today that Robarts is supposed to be shaped like a giant bird - most refer to it as a peacock, although many think it is a turkey. I just think its fucking ugly.

The style of the building is called Neo-Brutalism... how depressing is that? What person though, "Hey I know, lets create a building that we can refer to as Brutal." But more importantly, what person thought, "You know, classical brutal was pretty awesome, but lets make neo-brutalism to give it that extra little something-something. Cause that'll be fucking A."

Seriously... who the hell thought up this idea.

I've been having a good few days - Wednesday I had a bookstore tour of the Annex and made a great new friend named Lindsui. Wedneday night, i cooked dinner and hung out with Marcos. Yesterday, I got to geek out with Nick as we went shopping for comic books and then went on an epic search for Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series for Nick to read on the plane to Vegas. Last night I hung out at home and watched some tv - I felt rather normal doing so. Today, there was a library tour of the campus - there are A LOT of libraries here! After that, I went out with a few PhDers and one MAer for coffee at one of the million Second Cup on campus. Actually we went to my favourite second cup in the Jewish Community Centre... I think they know me there now. But it was great to chat with people and start making some more connections here.

Which brings me to now... what am I doing now you ask? Well I am going to Travel Cuts so that I can...wait for it... book a flight for Jes to come visit me in Toronto. Yes. that's right... the Jessenator is coming to Toronto next weekend during the long weekend!!! I am so excited I am almost peeing myself. Then later I am going to get a few more books for my class on Monday and finally head home to get ready for Nick's birthday party tonight that Marcos and I are going to. O'Grady's on bear night... oh dear me.

That's pretty much it for now - my sore throat because of the pollution is not too bad today, still coughing some, but I'll get used to it.

Off to brave the heat once more!

2 comments:

nickwrites said...

I love being featured so heavily in your blog lately. Makes me feel important. Let's go action figure shopping when I get back!

Matt J. said...

Yes! I would love to go action figure shopping... you know which one I want at Silver Snail... mmmmm Faith.

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto