Sunday, September 2, 2007

Little Italy, you capture my heart


Yesterday I woke up feeling kinda funny - my nose has been stuffed up every morning for the past few days, I think it is the smog here. I actually felt worse as the morning went on - ate some yogurt and thought that my stomach was going to explode from inside my chest. I have since thrown out that yogurt. So, after a morning of lounging about and feeling gross, I perked up and decided to go ahead with my plan to head over to Kensington Market. And wow, how glad am I that I did.

I stumbled onto a HUGE Italian festival that stretched for blocks and blocks along College. I was in heaven. There was so much cheap food - I managed to eat for like 7 bucks a fried pizza thing, a cob of grilled corn and a HUGE Italian sausage on a Portuguese bun. It was pretty amazing.

I wandered in and out of shops, listening to street vendors call out to passer-bys, I looked at some great used books, a store that just sells art books, a really cool comic store. I also managed to watch a few street performances, there were the Italian folk singers who were singing song from "the old country" as the lead guy said. Then I saw this amazing fiddle rock band named Dr. Drew - I highly highly recommend him to anyone and everyone. Such good stuff.

Finally around 8 I made my way back home... I was full, satisfied and pretty happy with my first Saturday alone in Toronto.

Today, I am waiting for the Bell phone guy to come to set up my house phone... he is over an hour late now. Then I want to head down to the lake shore for a free concert tonight - Serena Ryder is playing... I'd love to finally see her live.

No comments:

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto