Monday, September 24, 2007

Home?

I am going to start this post by saying that I have, without a doubt, the best Best Friend ever. Read on to find out why.

I have survived a month. It has been over a month since I arrived here in Toronto, and I am surviving in ways I never thought possible. I am happy - well relatively happy anyways. I still miss home and my friends, but I have a growing group of people here that are becoming dear to my heart. I am actually starting to think I could even grown to think of Toronto as a home... one of many anyways.

Yesterday was not a good day - I was incredibly down all day. For those who are close to me know what the month of October brings with it, and yesterday I started to feel that a bit. It is something I do not talk about often, and find it hard to even vocalize exactly how I feel about it still. So, yesterday I took a mental health day. Sat inside, felt sad at times and ok at others. Got to talk to Christine a bit - which was super nice. Then I went off to Queen Street and picked up a Terry Eagleton book for the theory reading group I am a part of here. Although to be honest, it is less about wanting to read theory than it is about impressing someone. (God how sad am I?) I took pictures with my new camera - will post some soon, promise.

After that, I got to talk to Jes. We discovered that the Tori plans we had would not work. So he decided to fly me out to New York and see her there. Yes, folks, that is right. I am going to New York in early October to see Tori Amos. I am also going to sit in on a class with Eve Sedgwick! It will mean missing a class, but I think I can afford to do that if it means getting to meet Eve. I've already squared this away with my prof, so don't worry about that. I really needed to have this happen yesterday, and I think Jes did too. I was missing him terribly yesterday, it was almost physically painful. So the idea that I get to spend time with him in New York - its exhilarating!

That is why I have the best Best Friend ever.

Today, I have class, I am in the midst of reading House of Mirth for today... which is better than the theoretical text (Kant) we had to read for today. It was rather dreadful. Yuck!

My day is looking better - everything seems a little shinier today. Maybe that is because of the news, or because I am just in a good mood, or maybe because Heroes starts tonight. Or maybe because tomorrow I can bring my own DVD version of Seth Rogan home.

F.Y.I. I have a spare Tori Amos ticket for here in Toronto on the 23rd of October... if anyone is interested in going with me. They are like 5 rows from the stage!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It'd be sweeet if I came to Toronto and stole that extra ticket from ya. Man - too bad that ain't happening. Maybe when I sell my car for OODLES more than it's worth, then we'll talk.

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto