Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Its always a girl at a desk...

Today, my friend Dara and I went to check out the Centre for Sexual Diversity Studies at UofT, as is my usual expereince with one of these offices I walked in with high hopes that there will be a big collective of queer academics that I could hang out with and talk about Butler or Sedgwick or even about the state of sexuality studies today. Instead, there was Marge. Just Marge. Sitting at a desk... smiling up at me.

I think the most interesting moment was when Marge told us about some big research library that they have with films and books and other stuff. When I asked her where it was... she told me that she was not allowed to tell anyone about its location. Her exact words were: "If I told you, I'd have to kill you..." Ummmm, ok. That makes no sense, what so ever. When I asked her why, she had no answer. Also, I asked her about their interdiscinplinary graduate program, in which I should be able to combine my English PhD and their sexuality program in some way... she muttered something incompehensible and wandered away.

Oddness....

In other news - today is the 6th anniversary of 9/11... I'm going to second Marcos's blog post about today (see here). Don't fall into the hype of the day - and remember all the other horrible tragedies that have happened since (and before) 9/11. It is imperative that we recollect every day that we all remember that thousands of people still die every day from AIDS.

Tomorrow, Jes arrives... I am picking him up at 9:30 am.

Oh and I am in the middle of a HUGE thunderstorm right now - its amazing!!! This is SO cool!!!!! WHHEEEEE

No comments:

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto