Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Water Falling Over Cliffs and Ontario Musings

Yesterday we took a little road trip to Niagara Falls. It was both what I expected and not at all what I expected. Perhaps that needs some more clarification. I expected it to be water falling over a cliff - hence the name water falls - but I was not expecting the sheer tackiness and campiness of the town itself. Its like a mini Times Square mixed in with a bit of Atlantic City. As though the people who designed it were thinking - hey, to attract as many Americans to our side of the falls (because ours are clearly better) we should make this as touristy as possible. For the most part when I have gone to see natural attractions, they are not as tacky as that. There are usually some walking trails or a site building where you can read about the natural wonders you're looking at. Not so much at the Falls. The visitor building was a total dump. It was old, had the WORST gift shop ever. But if you can detach yourself from the town and the people, the falls themselves are pretty awesome. They were actually smaller than I had made out in my head - having seen so many pictures of them and seen them in movies I had this image of something akin to the Empire State Building or the Grand Canyon.

Nonetheless, I stood at the fence, looked over at the boiling mass of blue water and frothy foam below and found myself enjoying it. Quite the sight - something everyone should see once. Although I am not sure if you need to see it more than once... it is water falling over a cliff afterall. I don't mean to sound so cynical and flippant about it - they were amazing, I really did enjoy seeing them. But like all natural attractions for me... the wow factor is not quite so huge.

After that we drove home, stopping at Zellars so I could stock up on household necessitates and then to Best Buy so I can actually have a phone for when the phone line starts working. I am told it will be on the 2nd now. Not exactly holding my breath on that one.

Today I am off to UofT to visit the campus and get my ID, maybe even buy a book or two for my classes. We'll see what happens. I plan on exploring the Annex some more too. Today will be my first day in the halls of my new academic home. And I am not nervous at all... oh wait, maybe that weird feeling in my stomach and the fact that I keep eyeing my smokes all morning tells me I am. Hmmmm.

I did dishes for the first time today and organized my garbage - it felt good to do normal things. Despite my rumbling tummy - I know that I will be happy here.

Now if only I could find the perfect spot for my Kate action figure from Lost... where to stick her....

No comments:

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto