Sunday, August 12, 2007

Starting to Say Goodbye


This past Friday was the big going away party for Jes, Christine, and myself. It was a total blast. We all headed down to Jericho Beach to set up a bbq, beach party kinda thing. A huge group of people showed up - Bri, Jes, and I took Jessica in our car and after staring at a very beautiful shirtless man for 20 minutes or more we finally found ourselves a spot. People arrived shortly thereafter.

We had food ( A LOT OF IT!) Some of which has migrated back to our apartment. There was booze. There were cigarettes. It was just a lot of fun.

Plus it really did hit me that I am leaving this amazing group of friends behind and heading East. It was really nice to see how many people are going to miss us - when you are moving away, there is always that funny feeling that you get that makes you wonder, "Will people actually miss me?" It might be irrational and totally not based in truth, but you still have to wonder. I don't have that feeling anymore after Friday - my friends are going to miss me and I am so totally going to miss all of them.

We are coming up to 7 days now - Jes leaves on Friday the 17th, and I go on the 18th. We are totally freaking out. I literally have nothing of mine in the apartment anymore - once my suitcase is gone I am going to have 5 shirts, 5 boxers, a few pairs of socks, a hoodie and a pair of jeans. Plus my Runaways graphic novels, and 3 other books. This is really weird. I am in that in between space you get into when you are going somewhere - ready to leave, but not really ready to get going yet. I am rather tired of Vancovuer, but it is still home. Jes and I spent Friday just wandering around the city a bit - we had coffee in Yaletown and looked out at False Creek. Those are the moments I am going to miss. I will miss certain things. Certain memories. But I am ready for a new start.

Although I have to admit, I would be having a easier time getting that new start in Toronto if I actually had some money for when I get there. My SSHRC payment does not coming in till Mid September. Funny that....

Jes and I have been having a tough time getting time to hang out alone - today he is off to Chilliwack to see his family for a going away dinner (They are taking him to Boston Pizza) and he is back on Monday. I am hoping that we can at least get one full day (as in 24 hours) alone so we can just hang out the way we used to.

I'm starting to say good-bye to this place and the people that are in it. I just don't know how totally ready I am to say good-bye to my friends. No one said this would be easy, but I never really thought it would be this hard either.

No comments:

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto