Monday, August 27, 2007

Toronto Adventures

Well I'm not really sure where to start... it has been a whirl wind couple of days. After I got here I just kinda explored the apartment and got comfortable. Jordan's cousin Robyn came over with her boyfriend and we hung out and chatted while drinking some nice Ontario wine. The next day, my land-lady drove me around the area showing it off. She introduced me to Rochesville - an amazing area that I am already in love with. I went to a great little fruits and veggies store and gorged on all kinds of great stuff. This is an area that is 20 minutes from my home, walking. And it is filled with awesome coffee shops, a bunch of bookstores and all kinds of fun stuff. After that, Jordan and I went to Ikea where I got a sofa, 2 big book cases, a smaller bookcase for dvds, a shelf unit for the bathroom and a pile of kitchen stuff. After that I bought some much needed food for the apartment - will have to do some more shopping with the car before Jordan leaves on Friday.

Yesterday, Jordan was doing some stuff on his own, so I went for a walking tour of Yonge and Church street. Caught the tail end of the queer literary festival. I changed my cell number and got a home phone number - just don't have the actual phone yet. After that - well, I had a date with Hotty Mchot... now known as Marcos. And all I need to say si that we had a second date today and have a third one planned for Wednesday. So, in terms of that... I think it is going well. (And because I know he reads this, I won't gush too much. That is reserved for girl talk between me and the other Musketeers.) Needless to say, I'm happy.

Today, my movers came - 4 hours late mind you - and as I unpacked stuff I was horrified to discover that my expensive wine glasses were broken, other glasses were damaged AND, the worse sin of all, my books were damaged. At least 20% of my books now have bent spines. I was mortified. I am going to call the movers tomorrow and complain, very strongly. How could they damage a PhD student's books!!??

I went for dinner with Marcos and we walked through the Annex - another neighbourhood that I am totally fell in love with. The best moment was two guys moving a leather couch along Bloor, using a skate board as a dolly. We laughed like crazy. Also, some lady came up to us asking for cigarettes and then went into a ramble about a girl that was lost. I was shown the front of BMV Books - what was called the best used bookstore in the city. Think I will head down there again this week to check it out some more. See what bargains I can find. The night ended with a hug at Dundas W. Subway station and I went home to my apartment, which is a work in progress. But I want to have it all together for Friday...

Tomorrow, I think Jordan and I are going on a little road trip to see Niagara Falls. Oh and I need to get that damn home phone!

hugs and kisses to you all
matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can't believe your books were damaged. complain strongly?! how about sue!? can you sue for books? is that reasonable? as a book-junky - and the proud owner of many of your old books - i think you should sue. at least threaten to sue. see where that gets ya.

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto