Tuesday, August 21, 2007

One Song Glory (Calgary to Regina)

I decided to name this post after the song that was just playing on the radio when I opened up my word document because it seemed appropriate. One Song Glory – from the musical RENT – its all about change. Right now I am sitting in the passanger seat of the car typing out some thoughts on the Praries. I have to admit, I am mildly impressed by them, but I think my biggest reaction to them is a sense of being overwhelmed. They are so big and so grand and so immense that I really had no idea, at all, of what to expect from them. When I look ahead of me all I see is road, and dry grass – nothing else. It is just mile after mile of road. There are no mountains to break that sense of monotmy – no sense of familiarity for me anywhere. I think Foucault would really like this streach of earth, because it seems that everyone here is equal. You have to break through the bad-lands of the praries to get to the other side. Course, driving through Alberta, I am realizing that there is a a distinct finaicial hierarchy in Alberta – those who are a part of the industries who keep the province alive, and those who do not. I have not seen much poverty, but the social critic in me can sense it is here.

I feel as though I am lost – with a world that I know and understand behind me and a world of uncertainty in front of me… well except I am pretty certain that there will be more grass and cows coming up. But that is a world I am pretty excited about. For right now, however, I am feeling pretty good about discovering my Canadian self. I’m certainly not going to frolic on the prairies or play in the Great Lakes, but I am enjoying myself seeing my country.

We have been driving through Alberta since yesterday and are coming up on the boarder between Alberta and Saskatchewan (I know I spelled that wrong - so sue me). Alberta is nice, but at the same time really unappealing. We stopped in Brooks – where I finally found a starbucks – and in Medicine Hat (the Gas City – no really, that’s what they call themselves.) Both towns were quaint in their own way – but just so empty of the things I know. One of the things that I think this trip will help me with is adjusting to Toronto – because I will be craving the big city again by the time I get there. I’ll miss Vancouver, but will just be so happy to be in a place with transit again. And more than one starbucks!

I am doing pretty well so far, was missing everyone this morning. And I know that will last for a while, but I am finding ways of adjusting. Lets just say that I love my unlimited text messaging feature for anywhere in Canada and the US!

I have been spending time in the evenings talking to Jes – which helps a lot with this change I am making. We are sharing experiences and making plans for things. I am really happy that I get to see him before October…

For now I am going to continue to look out the window and see what I can see – oh look more grass. I am certainly not complaining about the prairies – but I am realizing that, they are not for me. And if I did not have someone to talk to while driving this drive, I would certainly go mad.

We got to Regina nicely - I have to say that it is a nice city. Not at all what I expected. Everyone told me it was a total dive, but I seem to like it so far. The area around the legislature buildings is really quite nice. The buildings themselves are really impressive - they are situated in this really pretty park area where the river runs past and there is a huge rose garden dedicated to Queen Elizabeth the II.

Our hostel is also nice - we have a huge room to ourselves, except for this one guy that went to bed at 8. Who the fuck does that?! I am sitting outside right now on the patio - they locked the doors at 10, so I hope I can get inside still, the lady gave me a door code, so I should be able too. Otherwise, I'll just be outside all night.

Tomorrow we are off to Winnipeg, I get to see my friend Greg and Jen! Very excited about that - a small piece of home along the way.

I should call it a night - hope everyone is well back in Van and various other places.

much love
matt

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got to go to the M-Hat? Wicked! I've always wondered what province that was in. Say hi to Jen for me - that is, if you get this before you see her.

The only time I've ever seen anyone go to bed at 8 in a hostel was in Amsterdam. Then again, a lot of people slept all day in Amsterdam. Napping and eating are essentially the two big tourist traps there... :o)

Good luck crossing the next provincial border. Almost three down....!!!!

Anonymous said...

I miss you and I am so sad to know you are in the prairies, because they are boring as shit. This is the first time I have read your blog (I know, I suck).

Anywho, good luck getting through and across and thanks for the Rent shout-out, made me feel like you are still here!

Matt J. said...

Yes this has been a long trip - I did not enjoy many of the towns I have been in. Med Hat was ok - it was pretty small and kinda pleasant to look at. Although a weird absence of gas stations though.

I miss you both! And I am out of the prairies - never have to see them again!

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto