Friday, August 31, 2007

And after 7 days....

Today marks a week in the city. My first 7 days of Toronto living. And, despite bouts of homesickness, being stone-cold broke, sweating a lot and broken wine glasses... I think I am going to be happy here. Already in 7 days I have made some friends in the city - Robyn, Jordan's cousin welcomed me on my first day with open arms. Marcos is a joy to hang out with and deal with stupid ass newbie questions. Also, Jordan's friend Fred gave me a warm welcome. Yesterday, I met my long time on-line friend Nick for coffee and a tour of the UofT campus - which was great. Found a few not so hidden gems on campus and got to talk about Transformers and Buffy for a few hours...

I used to think I did not make friends easily, which would mean that moving here would put me into a state of panic, but having already developed people I can call when I am lonely or just need to talk to someone tells me that I can indeed survive here. I miss all my friends from home terribly... but I know that I am going to see them all soon. Christine tonight, Jes in September and October, Jen in October and maybe even Brianne in November... Plus I still talk to Jes on an almost nightly basis... which is a big relief... it almost feels like we are going through this together.

***As I write this, my land-lady's cat, Stan, has come wandering inside and is making himself at home in my bed. Stan visits me everyday and has become a fixture in my apartment, whether it be for five minutes or a few hours. ***

Most of this past week was spent putting together my apartment - which is nearly done. I will post pictures this weekend... I promise. (I can feel Brianne giving me a look) All I have to do is put up some posters - still have not found the perfect place to put the Knocked Up poster. Once that is done, the pictures will be taken.

For this weekend... I am going to explore the city as much as possible. Might head to the lake shore or something. Just wander around... There is so much to see. Also Saturday night, there might be a house party that I am invited to. Also knowing me, I will wander more around the Annex and the Bloor West Village - two of my favourite places so far. Also, there might be more free concerts that I can go to like last night!

Ok, I should run - heading off to a relaxing afternoon on a couch.

Its been Seven Days... and Matt is surviving here. He is enjoying it here. No news is better than that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right - no news IS better than that.

And yes - I did give you a look. I'm still giving it.

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto