Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Iced Americanos and a Desolated Department

I am sitting in the most amazing cafe ever - Aroma on Bloor in the Annex - eating a roast beef sandwich and having an iced americano. So far, my day has been a bit of a bust - I managed to get my student ID (the picture makes me look like a serial murderer) and my UofT computing account active - although it won't start working until tomorrow. After this, I was feeling pretty good so I decided to go look for my books in the bookstore. Well, the UofT bookstore is truly one of the most confusing bookstores I've ever been in. There is no course listings where the books are. Just books. So you really have no idea what books go with what courses. I finally gave up and decided to find something to drink - well this was an epic search. Apparently no one on campus knows exactly what an iced americano is. The first second cup I went to, the barrista stared at me like I was speaking in tounges, the second actually told me he didn't know how to make one, and the third offered me iced tea. So I changed course. Decided to head to the English Department, perhaps say hi to the graduate advisor and check out the department. Sadly I had forgotten my map at home. So I got very very lost. Finally I found a map outside the library - now the building that the english department is housed in has just changed its name and I only know the new name - luckily I kinda remembered where it was so I made a logical deduction and headed for the Medical Arts Building. I was right. But when I got there - no one was there. It was literally like a ghost town. There was nothing on the walls, not even name tags on the doors. It was really freaky. The only person who was there that I talked to was, naturally, Linda Hutchinson. Why wouldn't one of the biggest names in Canadian English Studies be hanging out. She was really nice.

I left the building feeling hungry, hot (its over 40 here today) and a bit disillusioned. I decided to walk down Bloor and check out the annex. I finally came across Aroma and decided I want a fucking iced coffee damnit!

So I've spent the last 20 minutes enjoying their free wireless and listening to two sweet older ladies talking about the cookies they bought and the bees on their balconies.

Well I think i will walk down Bloor and head to the Bob Miller Bookroom - where apparently profs stock books for classes and see if I can't find some of my books. Then tonight I might put together more of my bookcases and stock them, then I might watch some Firefly and try and stay cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well now i'm curious - what kind of cookies did the women buy?

Matt J. said...

I'm not really sure exactly but they looked good. They were just so sweet! I loved them both. They asked if they could put their empty tray on my table and kept calling me honey and sweetie.

It was pretty fantastic.

Anonymous said...

aw - sweet elderly women are awesome. granted, my grandma's never been "sweet" and she's still the most kick-ass old chick i know. she may have even let you have a cookie.

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto