Wednesday, August 22, 2007

From the Skies of Winnipeg to the Streets of Thunder Bay

I am currently sitting in a rooming house in Thunder Bay, Ontario after a really really long trip. We drove yesterday to Winnipeg and stayed with our friend Greg. It was a long day - filled with all kinds of adventure. Well not really, it was more just a lot of driving and looking at really depressing small towns. I have really noticed that the towns in Canada are SMALL! There is very little going on in them. Most of the ones on the prairies are based around farming and the like. We were in one called Qu'Applle (I think that is how it is spelled). It was in all respects a ghost town. There was absolutely NOTHING going on. We stopped to get gas at a Domo, yes that's right a Domo - they still exist! And then did a quick drive through, which took all of 5 minutes.

I think the highlight of yesterday was Winnipeg, I loved it there. I can now see why Jen really loves that city. It is super friendly and super clean and just nice. I got to see Jen last night, she took me out to the Toad, some bar that she used to hang out with all of her friends at. It was great. We both got super trashed. That was a total reminder of home. Being drunk with Jen. It makes me excited for her visit to Toronto in October - I am totally going to find good bars to take her to.

Staying with Greg was nice. His family is awesome. I think i connected with him mom and dad instantly. They wanted me to pack up their dog and take her with me, and you know I was super tempted to do that.

Today we drove for 9 hours - passing through Manitoba into Ontario. Yes I am in Ontario now, closer to - well I guess I can call it home - and I am even in my own time zone now. I get a few days to get used to that. But I am really happy to be in my transplanted province. It feels good. I made Jordan stop at the Ontario sign and take my picture. Sadly, my first few experiences in Ontario were not amazing. We did stop for lunch at this really pretty lake in Kenora, ON. Very nice. But after that we stopped to get gas in this horrible horrible town. I felt like I was in either a Hitchcock movie or in Deliverance. I am pretty sure that the guy who helped us at the gas station had a mom who is also his sister... if you catch my drift. Then our stop is in Thunder Bay. What a dump! I really don't like it here. We are staying in a nice hostel, but the woman who runs it is a bit... well intense. I am looking forward to getting up in the morning and leaving this arm pit behind.

I am getting closer to Toronto. Which is amazing, because it feels like this trip just started and here I am at the tail end of it. Crazy huh? Soon I will be posting from my apartment in Toronto. I will be posting pictures of the apartment right away!

My first purchase when I am there will be a futon so I have a couch and a spare bed...

I will post tomorrow again, from the Soo.

hope all is well out there.
hugs
matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't Domo where they jump to the pump for you? That company has some fine advertising if I still can remember that.

You didn't take the free dog?! That's crazy-talk!

Glad you got to get drunk with Jen. Drunk with Jen is a very good time.

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto