Wednesday, January 30, 2008

In the Words of Ms. Minogue... Wow.


Today was a great day. I got to school a bit later than I wanted - did not get that reading done, although from the tiny amount of time we actually spent talking about that article in class I didn't even need to photocopy it - and had really good Udon soup at my new fav place The Noodle Bowl. I think that was a run on sentence. After that, I grabbed myself a coffee and walked down to University College in FREEZING COLD WEATHER for class.

How cold was it you ask? Very Very Very cold - I could not feel my skin except for massive amounts of pain all over my face.

Class was good - I am starting to like this Victorian Unconscious stuff a bit more, and when we start talking about the actual literature, it will get even better I am sure. Once class was done, Kate, Danny, Vanessa, Dara, Sarah and I all went to this lovely little cafe on Harbord Street that served the best sandwiches and desserts in the world. I had a roast chicken sandwich - my god it was to die for. I really want to try that chocolate thing that Danny had though... it was like an orgasm on a plate waiting to happen!

We all wandered over to see Marjorie Garber give a lecture - well let me tell you, I can now safely say that I have renewed faith in literature, the humanities and in my choice to do a PhD. She is an amazing lecturer and scholar - she was talking about the possible end to the humanities as a discipline and why that might be happening and what will come after this "end to humanities." One of her biggest points was to suggest a new kind of academia that is wholly interdisciplinary. I took issue with this. After the lecture, I asked her where she saw queer studies, women studies, and gender studies fitting into the paradigm and whether she felt that these concepts would remain labeled as such. We discussed this at length for a little while.

I felt all important.

Once we left the lecture, I met up with Lindsey for some much needed girl time in Robarts.

Just been one of those days that deserves a wow. A good wow.

Tomorrow - more girl time as we prepare for the cocktail party and get Linds ready for her Oxford Ball. (I am vetting jewelry).

No comments:

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto