Tuesday, May 20, 2008

200 pages...


I was going to scribe this post in a homage to the 18th century letter writing tradition, but when I sat down to do so, I realized I am too fucking tired. So instead you'll get my ramblings.

I have officially started the Comps reading - and am 260 pages into the first novel, Frances Burney's Evelina, a epistolary novel. Surprisingly I am finding myself really enjoying it. I managed to do more than 200 pages in the last two days - with yesterday being broken up with a meeting of my comps group. I am not doing too bad - if I can keep this up, I should be able to do my plan of 1 book every 2-3 days. And the poems make it even easier...

Evelina is a good start to it I think. All about a young (stupid) girl coming into society and the troubles she finds herself in. Really, she just keeps getting involved in the most ridiculous situations! Plus it is all about English Nationalism, but manages to paint the Brits as being total fools. But most of all, it is making me thing about how much I miss writing letters! Not just emails, but actual letters. I remember as a kid I had a pen pal in Greece for ages, and we'd write back and forth to each other weekly... sometimes I'd get 2 or 3 letters a week from him. But I remember how excited I was to write a multi page letter talking about my day or week or whatever. Reading this book almost makes me want to start writing letters again... course I'd need to have the time to do so.

The rest of the week is going to be taken up by the remainder of Evelina, some Chaucer poems, and Sir Gawain and The Green Knight... which I am "presenting" on for my group. Then I get to read Nightwood (which I am really excited about!)

Ok, off to dream about letters... while making a pizza perhaps.

I remain, my dear readers, your most honest and humble blogger...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember when I had to read 1800 pages of 18th century brit lit in a week? God that sucked. But if I could do that, you should have no problems! And yeah - the epistolary form is quite nice, except for all the obligatory niceties that begin and end each letter... that can get sort of tiring....

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto