Friday, August 3, 2007

Thoughts of a depressive nature.

It hit me like 20 minutes ago that I am leaving my home in like 16 days. To top it off I am leaving and moving to a city where I know like 3 people and I am living alone. Everything I know and love I am leaving behind - and this is a very very scary prospect. I have no idea how I am going to do this.

I know people do this all the time, but I am not exactly one of those people who can walk up to anyone and start up a conversation - I need emotional support. Which i know I will get from the few friends I have already made in Toronto, and you have no idea how happy I am that they are there. I know I get all silly about Hotty Mchot in Toronto, but the fact that there is someone there who likes me and wants to get to know me and hang out with me makes this whole transition a heck of a lot easier.

But there is still the issue of me living alone. I am not used to that at all. The last time I lived alone I got sick 5 months later... you know that whole heart failure, dying thing. So I have some pretty messy associations with living by myself. It will take a lot of adjustment, but I hope I can do this. Well I guess I kinda have to.

I want to get a pet, especially a dog, but I am not sure if I can do that as soon as I move there. I don't think I am ready to move to a strange city and then adopt a dog - this would prevent me from meeting people. I said I would wait till January, so hopefully that will be ok.

I am incredibly jealous of Jes for moving to New York and in with one of our good friends - it will make his adjustment all the easier. For me, I can envision myself crying in my apartment... I don't need to get all depressed. I mean I shouldn't even be worried about this right now, I have to organize a move across the country... but it still weighs heavily on my mind.

To be honest I'm kinda scared.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

trust me, I'll be crying even when Myka is there...

Anonymous said...

but maybe you could adopt Christine's pet rat!

January said...

Hello, I don't know you, but I found your page and can relate to moving to Toronto when you don't know anyone. I did that in 1994 and lasted for 2 years before moving back home. However, I did meet lots of people, many of whom I am still friends with today. I thought this website would maybe help you www.meetin.org
When I traveled to Europe last year I found a group to hang out with from the meetin.org site, and it was great! So I wanted to wish you well and pass that along to you!
Good luck!

Bloor Street Tears (Formerly Everyone Say Repressed Homosexuality)

A blog about the life and times of a Toronto Grad Student living in Downtown Toronto